Buying Guide and Reviews of the 5 Best Cat Eye Drops in 2020
Are your cat's eyes red, swollen, or exudes unusual or excessive discharge? I hate to say this, but these could be signs that your cat has an infection in the eye. While the best thing to do is have your cat's eyes checked by a veterinarian, you can use cat eye drops as a temporary relief against any discomfort or irritation.
But with hundreds of readily available eye drops in the market, how would you know which one to get for your adorable pet? To help you come up with a fair and objective decision, we've checked out many of these products online and summarized everything you need to know about the top five eye drops that you can use for your cats.
- Best Cat Eye Drops
- Our Picks: Top 5 Best Cat Eye Drops
- Cat Eye Drops: A Buyer's Guide
- Tips for Giving Your Cat Eye Drops
- How do I know if my cat has an eye infection?
- What kind of eye drops are safe for cats?
- Can you buy cat eye drops over the counter?
- What can I put on my cat's eye infection?
Best Cat Eye Drops
Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Pet Eye Wash
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
Nutri-Vet Eye Rinse Liquid for Cats
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
Miracle Care Eye Clear Sterile Eye Wash
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
Tomlyn Opticlear Veterinary Eye Wash
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
Dr. Goodpet Natural Vitamin C & Zinc Eye Drops
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
Our Picks: Top 5 Best Cat Eye Drops
- Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Pet Eye Wash
- Nutri-Vet Eye Rinse Liquid for Cats
- Miracle Care Eye Clear Sterile Eye Wash
- Tomlyn Opticlear Veterinary Eye Wash
- Dr. Goodpet Natural Vitamin C & Zinc Eye Drops
1. Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Pet Eye Wash
From Vetericyn, a brand recognized for its high-quality animal wellness products, comes the best eye drops for cats in our list – the Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Pet Eye Wash.
Recommended by veterinarians, the Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Pet Eye Wash provides a natural, safe, and effective solution against eye irritants or infections with its superior hypochlorous technology. Aside from cats, it also suits dogs, horses, rabbits, or any other animal. It comes in a 3 oz bottle.
This eyewash reduces eye infections and irritation from foreign materials, wounds, pink eye, and allergies. It gently cleans your cat's eyes and surrounding tissue by flushing away dirt and debris. Not only this, it further helps clean tear stains around the eyes.
This medication is not only good for eye infections caused by bacteria or viruses. It also works just as well for your pet's daily eye care and maintenance to keep it looking its best. Does your cat have dry eyes? Then you can use this product as part of its regular maintenance to keep it comfortable throughout the day.
The Vetericyn Plus Pet Eye Wash is easy to use. First, adjust the dropper nozzle. Then, gently flush the affected eyes and repeat three to four times per day until the eye condition improves. No need to rinse after this step. Note, however, that using it once a day is sufficient for daily eye care.
Key Features and Benefits of Vetericyn Plus Antimicrobial Pet Eye Wash:
- It can be used as a home remedy against eye irritation or infection.
- It also works well for preventive and daily cat's eye care.
- It is safe, non-irritating, and non-toxic.
- It has no antibiotics, alcohol, or steroids.
- A veterinarian typically recommends these eye drops for cats.
- It is excellent for a multi-pet household since it can also be used on dogs and other animals.
2. Nutri-Vet Eye Rinse Liquid for Cats
Next in our list is the Nutri-Vet Eye Rinse Liquid for Cats. This sterile and non-irritating ophthalmic solution contains a boric acid eye solution that helps clean your cat's eyes. It also alleviates discomfort and irritations from irritants, such as pollen, foreign debris, and dried mucous.
It helps remove tear stains around your cat's eyes and make your feline friend feel more comfortable. Likewise, regular use of this product slows down the formation of tear stains. With no specified age restrictions for usage, the Nutri-Vet Cat Eye Rinse functions just as well as safe eye drops for kittens.
This eye product comes in a 4 oz bottle. Apply two to three drops of these eye drops in each eye. Use on irritated or infected cat's eyes multiple times daily to lessen symptoms of eye infections.
Many pet owners and customers like how quickly this product works for their cats. Since it's perfectly safe to use, this rinse liquid works well for cleaning and flushing the eyes of a cat that frequent the outdoors. Unlike those who prefer the indoors, outdoor-loving feline friends are more prone to get irritants like dust, pollen, and dirt in their organ of sight. Products like this one from Nutri-Vet are helpful in giving instant relief from such problems.
Key Features and Benefits of Nutri-Vet Eye Rinse Liquid for Cats:
- These eye drops clean and soothes the eyes.
- They make an unfavorable environment in your cat's eyes for germs and bacteria.
- This product from Nutri-Vet removes tear stains around the eyes.
- It utilizes boric acid, an irrigation solution against eye infections and irritations.
- It can be used even on kittens and older cats.
- This particular product for cats is affordable.
3. Miracle Care Eye Clear Sterile Eye Wash
If you are looking for a cat eye infection treatment over the counter, one that you should probably consider is the Miracle Care Eye Clear Sterile Eye Wash.
As a medication for eye infections of your cat, these eye drops help make your pet feel more comfortable by flushing away irritating debris from its eyes. It is a veterinarian-approved product that is gentle, non-irritating, and effective.
Most cat owners find this cat eyewash product not only useful but also affordable. It's used best with Miracle Care Eye Wash Pads. They like how these products help keep the eyes of their cats clean and free from irritations or any infection.
Key Features and Benefits of Miracle Care Eye Clear Sterile Eye Wash:
- The Miracle Care Eye Clear gently cleans and removes stains and bacteria in and around a cat's eye.
- This product can also be used on other animals, such as dogs, horses, and birds.
- It is cheaper than other readily available eye drops for cats or cat eyewash.
- This product is available in two sizes: 1 oz drops and 4 oz drops.
4. Tomlyn Opticlear Veterinary Eye Wash
If you find your cat with symptoms of eye infections, a medication like the Tomlyn Opticlear Veterinary Eye Wash will help alleviate any discomfort or irritation. A sterile eyewash that may also be used as eye drops, it would get a thumbs up from your cat's veterinarian as a home remedy for minor eye issues.
Designed for easy usage, the 4 oz bottle design of these eyedrops allows simple and direct applications to a cat's eye. Cat owners may also control the solution's flow rate by applying varying pressure to the bottle. Firstly, wipe away excess stuff surrounding your cat's eye. Then use these eye drops to flush the affected cat's eye as often as needed.
However, unlike the eyewash mentioned above and eye drops for cats, this particular sterile wash does not remove tear stains.
Key Features and Benefits of Tomlyn Opticlear Veterinary Eye Wash:
- These sterile eye drops from the Tomlyn brand are high-quality products made in a state-of-the-art facility.
- It is designed for easy application and use.
- It is safe and non-toxic.
- It can be used as often as needed to help keep your cat's eyes clean and free of any irritant.
- This product effectively removes foreign debris from the eyes of your pet cat.
- This eyewash is formulated to have similar pH as natural tears.
- It is also suitable for kittens.
5. Dr. Goodpet Natural Vitamin C & Zinc Eye Drops for Dogs & Cats
Dr. Goodpet Natural Vitamin C & Zinc Eye Drops are a highly recommended medication against symptoms of eye infections, such as redness, watery eyes, itchiness, and dryness. A good eye product for both dogs and cats, the easy to use solution comes with a dropper for convenience and effortless application.
For the effective medication of these drops, apply one or two drops in the affected cat eye in the morning and evening. Make sure to keep the eye drops bottle firmly closed and store it in a cool, dry place and away from direct sunlight.
Unlike most eye products that help clean a cat's eye are chemically formulated, which makes the Dr. Goodpet Natural Vitamin C & Zinc Eye Drops for Dogs & Cats one of a kind. Unlike most of its kind, this particular product is an all-natural solution.
Key Features and Benefits of Dr. Goodpet Natural Vitamin C & Zinc Eye Drops
- These eye drops from the Dr. Goodpet brand utilizes Vitamin C and zinc.
- This product is a natural cat eye medicine that works just as excellent on dogs.
- It can be used as preventative measures.
- Eye drops like this product helps minimize or prevent staining and common infection of cat eyes.
- This product is also safe to use for kittens that are at least two months old.
- The made in the USA eye care product is homeopathic.
Cat Eye Drops: A Buyer's Guide
Typically, your cat's eyes should be bright and clear. Although there are days that you may find that your cat's eyes are a little gooey or itchy. You may see your pet cat pawing at its eyes or rubbing its entire face on the carpet or against the sofa. When such incidents occur, readily available over-the-counter medications like cat eye drops come in handy.
Take a look at the short video below on how to properly apply the eye drops on cats.
How do cat eye drops work?
Cat eye drops are much like human eye drops for cats, except that they are specially formulated for the cats' eyes. They help make your cats' eyes feel comfortable and free from symptoms of eye infections, allergies, inflammation, or conjunctivitis. With proper usage, this type of medication may alleviate symptoms like watery eyes, redness, itchiness, dry eyes, or stinging eye pain.
They work by flushing irritants out of your cats' eyes. Think of this product as a way to clean and lubricate your cat's eye to free it from any foreign material like dirt or allergens.
Differences between over-the-counter and prescription cat eye drops
Over-the-counter eye drops for cats or OTC cat eye drops are readily available eye drops that provide immediate relief against eye irritant or infection. However, while the OTC type helps make minimize or clear up symptoms, they do not treat an infection or conditions that require proper medication.
Prescription cat eye drops, on the other hand, are the type of medication prescribed by your trusted veterinarian for your cat. These kinds of drops for cat eyes are remedies against symptoms of underlying eye conditions and diseases that are diagnosed by a veterinarian.
Eye drops that require a veterinarian's prescription may contain antibiotics and steroids that treat bacterial infections on the eye and eyelid, such as conjunctivitis or pink eye.
It is also important to note that the improper use of prescription medication may result in more harm than relief to your feline friend. Hence, it's best to consult first with your cat's veterinarian before you use any form of medication for your cat.
When do you need to use cat eye drops?
Keep in mind that while over-the-counter eye drops medication does the job of giving relief against infections, irritations, and other symptoms, they're not always the only solution. There are cases of eye infections that require appropriate treatment from a veterinarian. If something feels and looks off, schedule an appointment with your veterinarian to get your cat's eye checked.
However, there are instances when you may use safe and effective eye drops to help your cat feel more comfortable while waiting for the vet appointment.
Though the required medication still depends on the condition of your cat's eyes, eye drops, in general, provide immediate relief from any pain, discomfort or symptoms you find like dry eyes, watery and goopy eyes, redness, and itchiness.
Features to Consider When Buying Cat Eye Drops
One product that cat owners should have on hand is a bottle or two of eye drops for their cats, especially if their furry friends frequently experience allergies or conditions that directly affect their eyes.
Cats that wander in and out of the house may occasionally (and unavoidably) get some irritants like dirt and dust in their eyes. Hence, even perfectly healthy cats would greatly benefit if their fur parents have readily available eye drops at home.
Since this type of medication often addresses symptoms and is not directly used for a full treatment of any ailment, they are safe to use daily. When buying, find a medication with these features to ensure that you get the best product for your furry friends:
Safe Ingredients. Examine the ingredients list and make sure that the eye drops you're getting are entirely safe to use even without a prescription from a veterinarian. One example of a safe ingredient is hypochlorous acid, a safe antimicrobial agent. Bear in mind that the use of incorrect medication may result in further irritation – which we do not want to happen. If you find products that contain alcohol or bleaching agent, it's best to avoid them.
Application. Find a product that is easy to apply. Some drops may come with droppers, which make it a lot easier for cat owners to administer the application of eye drops on their fur babies.
Usage. Not all eye drops for pets are the same. Some are formulated for daily use and maintenance, while others are more advanced and can treat chronic conditions. Before getting a medication, determine first the reason why you are buying eye drops for your pet so you would have a better idea of which kind of medication suits your needs best.
Tips for Giving Your Cat Eye Drops
The key to successfully helping your cat recover quickly from any discomfort is the proper administration of medications like eye drops.
Clean your hands before and after the application of the drops. This will help avoid any contamination or potential spread of infection. It is also crucial to let the tip of the applicator clean at all times. Make sure to prevent it from directly touching the eyes or eyelid of your cats or any surface. Clean it immediately as soon as you find it in contact with anything.
If you find it challenging to administer applications of medication to your pet, here are some tips that may be useful:
- Gently clean the eyes of your pet cat with warm water and a clean washcloth. Remove any debris or foreign material that surrounds the eyes.
- Place your cat on your lap. If you find it difficult to restrain your cat, you may wrap it in a blanket or towel with its head uncovered. It would also be a lot easier if you have someone else hold the wrapped feline while you apply the drops.
- Making use of the thumb and index finger of your stronger hand, hold the drops with the tip or applicator pointed downwards.
- Pull back the upper eyelid using your remaining fingers while keeping your cat's head supported.
- Hold the drops closer to the affected eyes, but bear in mind to avoid touching the eyes' surface with the applicator.
- Squeeze the bottle and apply the prescribed number of drops directly onto the eyes.
- When done applying the drops, gently release the cat's head.
It is typical for felines to blink or paw the eyes after medication drops application, which will disperse the medication over the eyes' surface. If the blinking or pawing continues, or if the eyes of your cat appear to have an infection still or become more irritated, consult immediately with your veterinarian for diagnosis and appropriate treatment.
How do I know if my cat has an eye infection?
Cat parents may notice a variety of symptoms indicating an eye infection, including: The whites of the eye may turn red. The third eyelid may be protruding and covering part of the irritated eye. Your cat may have other clinical signs common with upper respiratory infections, such as sneezing or nasal discharge.
What kind of eye drops are safe for cats?
Veterinarians prescribe Ciprofloxacin Ophthalmic eye drops to treat bacterial infections of the eye and eyelid including conjunctivitis. Ciprofloxacin is a fluoroquinolone antibiotic. This broad-spectrum medication is safe and effectively kills a range of bacteria that can damage the eye.
Can you buy cat eye drops over the counter?
Do not use any over-the-counter eye drops for your cat, unless it's artificial tears, Vet Jones says. This is because many dog eye medications contain both antibiotics and steroids, and according to the experts, steroids should only be administered to cat eyes with great caution.
What can I put on my cat's eye infection?
If it's caused by a bacterial infection, antibiotic ointments may be used. Corneal disorders . Treatment depends on what's troubling your cat's cornea, but may include keeping kitty's eyes clean, antibiotic eye ointment or drops, drops that promote healing, removing loose corneal tissue, cauterization, or surgery.