Buyer’s Guide & Reviews for the Top 5 Best Automatic Cat Feeders 
For most of us, feeding our cats is a daily chore. Fortunately, it's a pretty easy one as far as chores go.
Most of the time.
What if you travel a lot? What if your cat tends to overeat? What if your cat insists on waking you up at the crack of dawn because it wants food? Can you imagine how nice it would be to not have to worry about whether your cat has been fed?
If any of this resonates with you, using an automatic cat feeder to feed your pet might be the next best purchase of your life. Never before has modern technology made such a positive impact on the efficiency of even the simplest household tasks.
These automatic cat feeder reviews will help you determine which model will be right for you and your feline friend.
There's also tons of helpful information about this type of cat product in general, which you and your fellow kitty lovers may find useful before switching dinnertime on autopilot.
Here at FelineLiving.Net we have a dedicated mission to provide cat owners like you with well-researched information so they can provide the best care and nutrition to their cat.
Our readers rely upon the cat food reviews, articles and recall alerts that we research and publish. We also routinely update and review our own reviews ensuring that any changes by manufacturers are brought to your attention.
FelineLiving.Net is maintained by Mary Nielsen & her staff. Mary is an animal lover of both cats and dogs. She and her staff are passionate about animals and work hard to provide you with a wealth of information for you and your cat.
- Top Rated Automatic Cat Feeders
- Our Top Choice for the Best Automatic Cat Feeder
- Reviews of the Best Automatic Cat Feeders
- Why You Should Get an Automatic Cat Feeder
- Things to Consider Before Purchasing an Automatic Cat Feeder
- How Many Pets Do You Have in Your Home?
- How Large are Your Pets?
- What Would be the Ideal Capacity and Efficiency of your Automatic Feeder?
- How Much Food Will be Needed?
- What are Your Main Intended Purposes for Such a Purchase?
- How User-Friendly is the Automatic Cat Feeder?
- What Accessories and/or Additional Features Does the Feeder Require?
- How Easy is this Automatic Cat Feeder for You to Maintain?
- Is it Feeder Right for My Cat?
- Some Helpful Tips for Use and Maintenance of Your Automatic Cat Feeder
- What is automatic pet feeder?
- Are automatic pet feeders good?
- Is there an automatic cat feeder for wet food?
- How does an automatic pet feeder work?
Top Rated Automatic Cat Feeders
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
Cat Mate C20 2-Bowl Automatic
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
WOPET Automatic Pet Feeder
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
PETKIT Smart Feed Automatic Cat Feeder
|VIEW LATEST PRICE →|
Our Top Choice for the Best Automatic Cat Feeder
If you’re going to go automatic when it comes to dinner kitty time, you might want to take a look at our choice for the best automatic cat feeder from AutoPets. One of the newest gadgets to come out from that brand (famed for its Litter-Robot product) is the Feeder-Robot, a flexible pet food dispenser that works with both dry and semi-moist foods.
With it, you can feed your little feline up to 8 times a day, at ¼ cup increments up to a max of 1 cup per feeding. If your cat is on a strict weight management diet, you’ll definitely save a lot of portioning time by using this.
You can manually program the feeding schedule or you can use AutoPets’ mobile app that’s compatible with both Android and iOS devices.
One of the best things we like about this auto cat feeder is its mobile app’s ability to integrate all Feeder-Robots into one seamless interface. You can program all schedules and feeding measurements for all of your Feeder-Robots (if you’ve got more than one).
The app also allows you access to your Litter-Robot if you have it. It’s a nice feature for people who love having tech work for them.
The Feeder-Robot also has an anti-jamming feature so you don’t have to worry about your pet not getting his meals. In case the sensors detect there’s something wrong (food backup or jam), the product goes on gravity mode (will fill the bowl regardless of programmed measurement) so your cat will continue to get his food.
Lastly, the product has a backup battery that’s good for 24 hours. It automatically kicks in whenever power goes off for any reason, and it will continue to dispense the preprogrammed meals.
Feeder-Robot is an excellent automatic cat feeder that thinks of every eventuality. You can rest easy knowing that your cat has a constant supply of food even when you’re not at home.
Reviews of the Best Automatic Cat Feeders
- AutoPets Feeder-Robot
- PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder
- Cat Mate C20 2-Bowl Automatic
- WOPET Automatic Pet Feeder
- PETKIT Smart Feed Automatic Cat Feeder
A cat feeder that dispenses food automatically should free up a lot of your time and energy. It's an innovative product that can help you live the lifestyle you want while still giving your kitty all the accommodations and love she needs.
Plus, a good automated feeder doesn't have to be inhibitively expensive. To help you find the best automatic cat feeder, we've weighed factors such as brand reputation, user reviews, reliability, and ease of use and maintenance to find the best possible options out there.
Which should be helpful—because there are a ton to choose from. Naturally, you'll want to make sure you're making the best possible purchase.
1. AutoPets Feeder-Robot
As mentioned above, this feeder sits comfortably on top of our list of the best automatic cat feeders. It comes with lots of tech features, such as an anti-jamming technology, a gravity option, a backup battery that kicks in automatically and is good for 24 hours, a tamper-resistant lid, and a chew-resistant power cord.
Your cat/cats can get up to 8 cups a day of food before refilling is necessary. The unit comes with a stainless steel bowl and a plastic one, but it can be upgraded into a glass bowl for an additional amount. There’s also a standard 18-month warranty that goes with each purchase.
- Easy-to-use mobile app and manual programming interface
- Mobile app integrates multiple Feeder-Robots and the Litter-Robot
- Accommodates dry and semi-moist food
- Anti-jam tech
- 24-hour backup battery
- Programmed schedules are saved even on offline mode
- Goes on gravity mode in case of jams
- Is more expensive than other brands
2. PetSafe Healthy Pet Simply Feed Automatic Feeder
This pet feeder is powerful, yet quiet and very nearly silent. Meal sizes can range from one eighth of a cup to 4 cups, doled out on a controlled timer with three different modes (immediate feed, pause feed, and slow feed, to avoid excessively fast eating and choking).
The device contains an anti-jam feature so that kibble and semi-wet food can be dispensed without issue. It has a huge capacity for dispensing food. It can dish out up to 12 meals a day for a total of 24 cups of food, so it’s a big plus for households with multiple cats.
Your cat will eat out an easy-to-clean and hygienic stainless steel bowl, which can hold a total of 5 cups of food. Complete with a locking lid feature to keep your curious kitty out of the food storage container!
- Excellent easy-to-read digital display
- Quiet and efficient motor
- Large capacity food storage for dry and semi-wet food
- Accommodates multiple types of cat food
- Anti-jam conveyor belt feature
- Optional power adapter must be purchased separately
- Some users note the keys to program the machine are hard to use
3. Cat Mate C20 2-Bowl Automatic
When your cat loves wet food, consider getting the Cat Mate C20. Not many automatic pet feeders dispense wet food, so this product is a must for your feline. It keeps the wet food fresh for up to 48 hours with its built-in ice pack (depends on the house temp).
Cat Mate contains two large food bowls (each can hold up to 4 cups or 1 pound of food ) with lids that open at the preprogrammed time. It is a simple pet feeder that doesn’t rely on too much tech. It’s easy to use and understand and doesn’t need a manual to operate.
Cleanup is also a breeze because the lids and bowls are removable and dishwasher-proof. The pet feeder comes with a 48-hour timer that relies on an AA battery to power it.
- Simple interface that anyone can use
- Dispenses wet food (very few pet feeders do this)
- Battery life lasts up to 12 months
- Uses an analog timer, which can’t be super precise
- The lid can get stuck sometimes
- There are no sounds to inform cats when the lids open up
4. WOPET Automatic Pet Feeder
Cats who need precise portioning control will be much served by WOPET’s automatic dry food dispenser. It can serve as little as two teaspoons to as much as 4.5 cups of kibbles with each feeding. Plus, you can also program a unique serving size for each feeding interval.
It has a fun feature where you can record a message for your pet and have it played with every feeding time. So you can say, “It’s feeding time now, Garfield!” and your cat will be alerted that the feeder has started dispensing food.
Power fluctuations or outages are not a problem. Although it is wall-powered, it can also be powered by batteries that will kick in so your pet will never miss a feeding. No need to keep refilling over and over. It comes with a large storage capacity to hold as much as 20 cups of food.
- Can schedule up to 4 feedings a day
- Has a huge kibble storage compartment
- Precise kibble servings for effective weight management
- Infrared tech detects food jams and spills
- Can record messages for your kitty
- Feeding tray is removable and dishwasher-safe
- Setup can be a little tricky
- When the power goes out, the schedule and serving size can be reset
5. PETKIT Smart Feed Automatic Cat Feeder
Love technology? This PETKIT Automatic Cat Feeder integrates with Alexa, making pet feeding so much easier. You can set a feeding schedule through your smartphone via the PETKIT app (accessible for both iOS and Androids) or you can ask your Amazon Echo device to give your cat a snack.
The Petkit Smart Feeder is one of the higher-tech options we've found, but don't let it's fanciness fool you. Users love how easily they can program their pet's feedings, can store up to 10 meals per day.
A excellent built-in webcam features allows you to keep an eye on your little one when you're away, and thanks to its wireless capabilities you can even schedule and adjust your pet's feedings from your smart phone.
Give your pet a personalized feeding that can range from 5 grams to 50 up to 10 times a day. The feeder is accessible via WiFi, but there’s a battery backup that will ensure your pet still receives his next scheduled feeding when the WiFi is off.
The spacious storage bucket holds up a large amount of food (up to 3.3 pounds). It will send you notices when the food is getting low and an alert will come up when it’s empty.
- Accommodates wet and dry food
- Large food storage
- Works online and offline
- Can feed cats up to 10 times a day
- Contains a weight sensor that sends notifications when food is getting low
- Has a DUO FRESH LOCK system that keeps food fresh
- Has a nice, streamlined silhouette
- A bit expensive
- The app requires too many permissions
- Feedings must all be programmed through the app, which sometimes does not work
Why You Should Get an Automatic Cat Feeder
Maybe you've never considered getting something like an automatic cat feeder for your pet. Maybe it strikes you as a little too techy or gimmicky. You may be tempted to write it off as some unnecessary indulgence. Maybe your current routine is fine—or at least not inconveniencing enough to change anything about it.
But there are plenty of specific reasons why this type of product may be right for your family, many of which other automatic feed users swear by:
- Your cat requires feedings at specific intervals or times throughout the day.
- Your cat is unable to be a free-feeder, since she'll overeat if given the opportunity and be at risk for obesity.
- Your feline is a picky and finicky eater and doesn't eat food that's been sitting out for a long time.
- Your animal wakes you up before the sun rises because she wants to eat.
- You work long or irregular hours, which makes feeding your kitty at regular intervals difficult.
- You don't live with anyone who you can depend on to help feed your kitty on time.
- You like the freedom to travel and go away from your home, while your cat can be safely alone for brief amounts of time.
Some or all of these may apply to you! Likewise, there may be other factors in your life that pique your interest in such a purchase. Whatever your reasons, a automated feeding device is likely to be a super simple and effective solution for you—the perfect purchase you never knew you needed.
Things to Consider Before Purchasing an Automatic Cat Feeder
How Many Pets Do You Have in Your Home?
If you have multiple kitties, you may want to consider buying multiple automatic feeders. This is to avoid any over-aggression and fights over mealtime food availability. Obviously, this is a factor to consider, given that automatic feeders are a little pricier than the non-automated alternatives.
How Large are Your Pets?
It's important to feed your cat the right amount of food so she has energy to grow, play, and live a long healthy life. How much to give her?
This depends on things like her size, age, and health status. Proper portion control is especially important if your animal is overweight. and automatic feeders can truly help with this. Many come with timer options, so your pet gets the exact right amount of food at the exact right intervals.
An automatic feeder also needs to be large enough to store and dispense the right amount of food that your pet will need for ideal health and lean body weight. So, getting a small machine with a large cat or multiple cats may not be sufficient for your pets' needs.
What Would be the Ideal Capacity and Efficiency of your Automatic Feeder?
One of the whole points about getting an automatic feeder is that you won't have to be as directly involved in the process as often as before. But of course you'll still have to refill it every now and then. The question is how often you want to be doing this.
Selecting a large capacity feeder allows you to refill the device less often. This may be particularly beneficial for you if you have a larger cat who needs to eat a lot, or if you have multiple pets and you elect to only use one feeder.
The type of food you give your cat will also influence how large of a device you get. Dry kibble will keep longer in an automated cat feeder compared to semi-moist food, which many feeders can accommodate (although it's important that the container offers sufficient seal for longer freshness).
An additional factor about the efficiency of the machine is how large the kibble is that you give your pet. You'll want to make sure that the size isn't too large to fit through any feeding pathways or conveyor systems.
How Much Food Will be Needed?
The feeder for your animal will offer a portion control option that's appropriate for your cat's nutritional needs. So, when considering a feeder for your home, be sure to note the variety of portion sizes the model offers and how easily that can be accommodated for your cat.
If your cat tends to gobble down her meals too quickly, you might also want to consider if your feeder has the option to dispense food slowly to control the speed of eating.
No matter how much food your automated feeder holds, you'll want to make sure that you choose a product that won't be opened into easily by a curious furry feline!
What are Your Main Intended Purposes for Such a Purchase?
Why does an automatic cat feeder sound appealing to you? Is it for convenience? Help with managing your cat's feeding style or weight? Simply asking yourself these questions may help you decide which model is a best fit for you and how much money you're willing to put toward the purchase of one.
How User-Friendly is the Automatic Cat Feeder?
Can you relate to this? You buy a new product that has some fancy gadgets and features, but they're so confusing that you end up not using half of them or even avoid using the device at all!
Know your comfort with technology before purchasing a kitty feeder. You'll want to be able to operate it daily without feeling confused.
What Accessories and/or Additional Features Does the Feeder Require?
Does your cat feeder preference require a WiFi connection, or a bunch of extra devices and add-ons to work appropriately? How willing would you be to invest in the extras if it would make your product run even more efficiently?
It's “just” an automatic cat feeder—but if it truly makes feeding your kitty more convenient and controlled, then getting everything you want to make the feeder work effectively isn't all that unrealistic.
How Easy is this Automatic Cat Feeder for You to Maintain?
There's no point in buying an automatic feeder if you're not going to do any routine maintenance to ensure its working properly. So, take care to ensure you'd be willing and able to do the necessary cleaning and upkeep.
Is it Feeder Right for My Cat?
Automatic feeders move, make noise (albeit minimal), and in general look a lot different than a regular old kitty dish. Is your four-legged friend excessively skittish or curious? If so, she may not jive with your new purchase—either because she's reluctant to eat out of it or because she spends too much time trying to break into it!
You love your kitty for her individual personality. So be sure to reflect on that before deciding on the model you want!
Some Helpful Tips for Use and Maintenance of Your Automatic Cat Feeder
So: you've selected the right automatic feeder for your little one. Now what?
It may be helpful to keep the following tips and tricks in mind as you go through the process of introducing your new feeder to your little diner:
- Read the instruction manual before set up! It will contain safety information and other helpful tips, including the customer service number in case your device malfunctions for any reason.
- Put the feeding device on a flat and sturdy surface. This prevents accidental tipping and helps ensure the food is dispensed properly.
- Clean your feeder as needed or instructed. This prolongs the longevity of the device, prevents harmful bacteria or mold build-up, and keeps your kitty safe (not to mention smells to a minimum). Check to make sure if your feeder has dishwasher-safe parts, or hand wash.
- In addition to any routine maintenance and refilling, be prepared to periodically check the feeder to make sure there aren't any blockages, which could damage your machine and inadvertently cause your cat to miss meals.
- Make sure you fill your feeder with the right kind and amount of food.
So, is it time to level up your feedings game?
If you're a kitty owner, an automatic cat feeder may be an ideal solution for your household, and selecting the right one that will be the best fit for you and your cat will help you make the most out of this innovative appliance. I hope the information provided in this article has been useful to help you determine which are the best automatic cat feeders available today.
So be sure to keep these reviews handy when selecting your own, and pass them along to help out another cat-loving friend.
What is automatic pet feeder?
Automatic feeders are designed to dispense specific portions of dog or cat food at certain times, so they ensure that your furry friend will be well fed on time.
Are automatic pet feeders good?
Automatic pet feeders are useful for breaking up a pet's meals into smaller feedings throughout the day, as well as for ensuring your pet never misses a meal when you're away.
Is there an automatic cat feeder for wet food?
Pawise Automatic Pet Feeder With Ice Packs You can choose the wet food cat feeder for one meal or for two and each bowl for wet cat food is 300ml. You can be sure that the wet food will be cool because this feeder comes with ice packs in each bowl. Simply put the food in the bowl, set the timer and close the lid.
How does an automatic pet feeder work?
The second section of the automatic pet feeder is the dish. The plastic or ceramic dish holds the food that is available for the dog to eat. Each automatic pet feeder is easy to install and comes with instructions to make it even easier! Each feeding can be programmed to dispense 1/4 to 3 cups of food at a time.