200+ Tabby Cat Names: From the Quirky to the Cute and Famous
Tabby cats are seen everywhere. While we cannot really consider these cuties a rare find, these affectionate and playful four-legged furballs still deserve to have a name that best fits their personality.
Famous cat monikers like Garfield and Tiger just won’t do. Yes, these names are well-known but they are quite over-used. If you are looking for something cute or unique, our list of tabby cat names might just help you find the perfect name for your cat.
Before going through all the names, it will help a lot if you know a thing or two about your little kitty. True, they are the most common domestic cats around. They are also recognized for their striped coat pattern and the ‘M’ in their forehead.
But apart from that, these adorable creatures are also loved for their friendly and gentle nature, which makes them great family pets.
Related article: Tabby Cat Personality and Behavior
- Best Girl and Boy Tabby Cat Names
- Cute Names Based on Famous and Charming (as well as not-so-cute) Characters
- Names of Well-known Tabbies
- Tiger Kitty Names: Perfect for Orange-Streaked Tabbies
- Tabby Cat Titles Based on Cat Gods and Goddesses
- Pattern-Inspired Tabby Cat Appellations
- Color-Inspired Tags for your Kitty
- Other Quirky Names and Their Equivalent Meanings
- Tabby Names Based on Striped Animals
- More Adorbs Boy and Girl Tabby Names
- What should I name my female tabby?
- What do you call a tabby and white cat?
- Are silver tabby cats rare?
- Are tabbies smart?
Best Girl and Boy Tabby Cat Names
If what you are after is a cute appellation – something that is totally adorbs, take a look at our list of cutesy names. Out of the hundreds of names here, you’ll surely find one that might just be the perfect match for your winsome feline friend.
Cute Names Based on Famous and Charming (as well as not-so-cute) Characters
Our fave animated or cartoon characters will always hold a special place in our hearts. One of these well-liked personalities may just carry a distinct persona that matches perfectly with your cats.
- Cheshire Cat. If your cat has a one-of-a-kind, mischievous grin, the name of this fictional cat (from Lewis Carroll’s book Alice’s Adventures in Wonderland) may just be what you’re looking for.
- Hamburglar. MacDonald Land’s villain’s name might tickle your fancy if your tabby has wide black and white stripes and has a big appetite.
- Jack Skellington. If your cat has color white and black narrow stripes that run from his head to his toes, then you might find Nightmare Before Christmas’ main protagonist’s outfit to resemble your cat’s striped coat.
- Nemo. A name made for those with white, black, and orange patterned coats. Finding Nemo’s young clownfish’s movements may be hampered by his flimsy fin, but he is surprisingly brave and quick-witted.
- Nermal. Another famous cartoon cat, his name is just perfect for color gray tabbies, not to mention those who are endearing yet a bit devious and annoyingly cute.
- Phineas Flynn. This optimistic young boy (from the show Phineas and Ferb) with his orange and yellow striped shirt may just resemble the orange and yellow streaks of your tabbies. Consider it a plus If your feline friend has a pointy nose and a bright personality.
- Tigger. While the moniker Tiger seems so ordinary, the name Tigger, on the one hand, always has a catchy ring to it. Winnie the Pooh’s darling character’s name befits tabbies with the love for bouncing (or should I say pouncing), and those with distinctive orange and black tabby coats.
- Waldo or Wally. Do you always find yourself looking for your cat who loves to wander around? Wally or Waldo from a know British children’s puzzle book called Where’s Waldo by Martin Handford may just be one of the names worth considering.
- Hobbes. From the famous Calvin and Hobbes comic strip, Hobbes is Calvin’s mischievous stuffed animal toy with a sardonic humor. Domesticated kitties with distinctive markings of classic orange and black shades or those with a playful personality will find their perfect name in Hobbes.
Names of Well-known Tabbies
If your new cat is oozing with charm and has that celebrity vibe, then here are a few famous names of cats to consider for your tabby.
- Freya. Other than being associated with Norse mythology’s goddess of love and beauty, this name is also an appellation given by Former British Chancellor George Osborne to his tabby kitty.
- Himmy. If your cat has the making of being the next “fattest cat” in the world, then why not name him after a Guinness World titleholder. Himmy, a resident of Australia and owned by Thomas Vyse, weighed a whopping 21.3 kg. and was declared as the fattest cat in the year 1986.
- Miko. If you are a Freddie Mercury fan with a color orange tabby, then this may just be a great name for your cutesy. Rock singer Mercury has always been fond of cats. In fact, some reports say that he had a total of 10 cats, which he all treated like his own children.
- Muezza. Muslims consider cats as “the quintessential pet.” Legends also tell of stories of the Islamic prophet Muhammad’s favorite tabby kitty named Muezza, who is fond of sleeping on the prophet’s sleeves.
- Think Think. Tsai Ing-Wen, cat lover and President of Taiwan, had a huge billboard in Taipei. Her tabby Think Think makes an appearance with a lovely, red bowtie.
- Toby. Actress and friend of animals Betty White, as a child, had an orange tabby named Toby. It is said that it watches over her like a reliable nanny.
Tiger Kitty Names: Perfect for Orange-Streaked Tabbies
If your feline friend has orange, black, and white streaks, then here’s a list of words, all of which mean Tiger in a different language.
- Bagh – Nepali
- Chui-milia – Swahili
- Con Cop – Vietnamese
- Harimau – Malay
- Ingwe – Zulu
- Kaplan – Turkish
- Lodaya – Sundanese
- Macan – Javanese
- Namur – Arabic
- Shabeel – Somali
- Sher – Persian
- Taika – Maori
- Tier – Afrikaans
- Tigra – Malagasy
- Tigris – Latin
- Tikari – Faroese
- Tora – Japanese
- Yolbars – Uzbek
Tabby Cat Titles Based on Cat Gods and Goddesses
Don’t want your cat to be named after a famous tabby or a popular striped character? If you have not figured out yet the perfect cats’ name to bestow to your cutie, then this list of titles based on gods and goddesses might help. As a bonus, we added the names’ cool meanings.
- Asherah – a Semitic goddess also known as Lion Lady
- Bastet or Bast – Egyptian goddess known for her ferocious nature
- Bes – Egyptian god of protection
- Ceridwen – Welsh goddess of wisdom
- Dawon – a ferocious, sacred Hindu tigress
- Hecate – a shape-shifter Greek goddess
- Li Shou – Chinese families’ guardian
- Mihos – son of Bastet depicted as a lion-god
- Parvati – Hindu goddess of beauty and love
- Shiva – Hindu god of destruction
- Yaoji – Chinese mountain goddess
Pattern-Inspired Tabby Cat Appellations
Whether your cat’s fur looks blotchy or banded, here are a few clever names of patterns that might just suit your pal.
Color-Inspired Tags for your Kitty
If you want to simply name your tabby based on her color, here’s a collection of interesting and attention-grabbing color tags that can serve as a great moniker for your furry pal.
Other Quirky Names and Their Equivalent Meanings
Here are a couple more interesting and lovely names for cats. Some are translations of the word cat and beautiful in different languages, while others are names from different countries.
- Aisha – Arabic name which means living and prosperous
- Akila – Egyptian name which means intelligent
- Alba – Latin word for white
- Amunet – mythical Egyptian goddess of mystery
- Aziza – Arabic name which means powerful and beloved
- Bella – the Italian word for beautiful
- Carina – means dear or beloved in Italian
- Cleopatra – famous Eqyptian Queen
- Dalila – a Hebrew name which means desired
- Femi – Nigerian name which means love me
- Hiro – Japanese name which can mean abundant
- Hoshi – means star in Japanese
- Jamila – Arabic word for beauty
- Larissa – Greek name that means citadel
- Layla – means night and is of Arabic origin
- Lottie – English name which means free
- Lumi – means snow and is of Finnish origin
- Kadin – means companion in Arabic
- Kamilah – Quranic name that means perfect
- Marra – Hebrew name which means everlasting
- Mau – Egyptian word for cat
- Maya – Greek name which means water
- Maye – Latin name which means spring
- Midori – Japanese name which means green
- Mosi – an Egyptian name which means born first
- Nailah – an Arabic name that means successful
- Raye – means peaceful or queen
- Sagira – means little one in Arabic
- Sanura – Swahili for the term kitten or little cat
- Tabitha – Aramaic word for gazelle
- Zahra – Arabic for flower
- Zalika – means wondrously beautiful in Arabic
Tabby Names Based on Striped Animals
It’s always a genius idea to name your streaky pal after another striped creature from the animal kingdom. Apart from cats’ relative – the Tiger, here are other stripy beasts that may resemble your tabby.
- Giant Eland
More Adorbs Boy and Girl Tabby Names
Below are more than a handful of monikers. A few are based on movie characters, while some are appellations of foods and places. Others are just downright endearing.
Regardless, many people give these names for tabby kitties a thumbs up, so might as well check them out. Names for female tabbies are marked with an (f) for your convenience.
- Bubbles (f)
- Buffy (f)
- Candy (f)
- Cupcake (f)
- Cypress (f)
- Diva (f)
- Faith (f)
- Lily (f)
- Lola (f)
- Lotus (f)
- Madonna (f)
- Margot (f)
- Milan (f)
- Mitzi (f)
- Paris (f)
- Tia (f)
What should I name my female tabby?
Bella, Chloe, Mia, Princess, Lucy, Lily, Daisy, Abby
What do you call a tabby and white cat?
A bicolor cat or piebald cat is a cat with white fur combined with fur of some other color, for example black or tabby. There are various patterns of bicolor cat. The Abyssinian has agouti (ticked tabby) fur, giving the appearance of even color with color-banded hairs.
Are silver tabby cats rare?
Tabby felines are not rare because they are not actually a breed. Their patterns can be found on many cat breeds. Certain cat coat colors like smoke, chocolate, and cream are considered rare. There are some interesting stats when it comes to cats with the tabby coat pattern.
Are tabbies smart?
When it comes to personality traits, tabbies are considered friendly, happy-go-lucky cats, intelligent, sassy, very affectionate and wonderful companions. But this trait is linked to coat color (as in fiery red) and not to the tabby pattern.