Fromm Game Bird Recipe Cat Food Review
As more and more people are seeking healthier and better food for their cats, designer cat foods are beginning to proliferate in the market. The established commercial cat food brands are being challenged by smaller makers that are providing foods with overall healthier ingredients, no animal byproducts, fillers and they are grain free.
Into this arena, the Fromm Company, from rural Wisconsin, has been making superior animal feed for decades, yet are one of the most unheard of brands out there. Unless you are a devoted cat-aholic, a veterinarian, or you live in the town where Fromm is made, you may never have heard of this brand.
Fromm cat foods are consistently some of the top rated food that you can buy, and are recommended by many vets as one of the healthiest food a cat can eat. This is completely due to the ingredients used when making Fromm pet food, and the Fromm company does not skimp on quality ingredients.
Make no mistake about it, this is one of the higher priced cat foods available, but when you are dealing with one of the best overall foods you can feed your kitty, it should be worth it. And when you are feeding Fromm, it is.
A Bit of History
The Fromm’s immigrated from Germany in the 1850’s, and set up a farm in Ozaukee County, Wisconsin. In 1904, the 4 Fromm brothers decided to follow their dream and raise silver foxes. The fur trade was booming back then, so the brothers took out a loan and built a silver fox farm in 1916, starting with just 3 silver foxes.
By 1933, Fromm had over 1000 employees in the silver fox business, and their innovation in such things as fox distemper shots and nutritional fox feed had gained worldwide attention.
By 1948, they had developed the process of cooking meat and grain together to form the first granular pet food. This was a major breakthrough that virtually all other pet food companies have employed since then.
The Federal Pet Food Company, called Federal Food Inc. is formed on the basis of using Fromm pet food knowledge, and in 1949, the first bag of genuine Fromm Dog Food is sold.
With the 1970’s, Fromm markets it’s first lifestyle specific recipe food, a “Hi-Stress” food for working dogs, and by the 1980’s, there are many different dog food formulas available, with the first Fromm cat food entering the market during this time.
As consumers move towards artesian specialty foods for their pets, Fromm leads the way with different types, with continuing growth that has continued to this day. A new factory is built in Columbus, Wisconsin, to keep up with demand, as Fromm’s market share increases due to their outstanding quality and variety of pet foods.
Let’s take a look at some of the more important ingredients. Nothing in Fromm’s Game Bird Recipe is chemically based or synthetic. The natural ingredients all meet or exceed the AAFCO Cat Food Nutrient Profiles, which essentially means that this food is complete and balanced. If you take a look at all of the ingredients, there is nothing included that you wouldn’t mind eating yourself.
- Duck, turkey, chicken, quail, pheasant — These are the game birds that make up the bulk of the flavor and nutrition, and why this particular food is called the Game Bird Recipe.
- Peas, potatoes, sweet potatoes, flaxseed, carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, green beans, alfalfa, yucca, parsley — These are the vegetables that are included.
- Tomatoes, apples, blueberries — These are the fruits included.
- Sorbic acid — Used as a natural preservative.
- Wisconsin cheese — Used for flavoring.
- Other ingredients — Fats, livers and cartilage used for flavoring. Taurine is included to provide a beneficial amino acid. Essential vitamins and minerals are added, and probiotics are used to aid in digestion. Potassium chloride for taste and to balance the PH.
There are no fillers or grain in Fromm’s Game Bird Recipe, and as you can see by the ingredients, virtually everything included could be used for human consumption as well.
Fromm Game Bird Protein — 35%
Kittens need about 30% protein, while adult cats need about 25% protein. The source of the protein
matters too, in that higher quality foods have a digestion rate of about 80% whereas lower quality foods have a digestion rate of about 60%. In essence, if you have a lower quality food that has 30% protein, you cat will only be able to access about 20% of it.
A higher quality food, such as Fromm’s, will have a higher digestion rate, and therefore more protein will be accessible during the digestion process. With a 35% protein rating, even at an 80% digestion rate, your cat will be getting enough protein at every feeding.
Crude Fat Content — 18%
Fat is critical to a feline’s diet, and many of the amino acids necessary for survival, Omega 3 and 6 for example, are found within the fat. Fat also enhances the taste of the food as well, making a cat food that is tasty and good all at the same time. Minimum fat content should be 9%, and Fromm doubles that amount to ensure your cat gets enough fat in its diet.
Crude Fiber Content — 6%
Fiber is a must to ensure proper digestion and waste production. Too much fiber may cause extremely hard stools while too little fiber may cause diarrhea. Just like humans, cats need fiber in their diets to keep their intestines and bowels working properly.
Moisture — 10%
The moisture content of dry cat food varies, but typically they are between 6% and 10%. A higher moisture dry food makes it easier to chew than a rock-hard totally dry food.
Here are a few scattered reviews about Fromm’s Game Bird Cat Food.
- This is the only food I have fed my cat after a recommendation from a friend. My cat loves this food and has never had any “digestive” problems from it. — Kirke Rose
- Healthy, tasty (or so it seems by how excited they are to eat now), and doesn’t test on animals. Charlie stopped throwing up when everything else has failed. I’m sticking with this. — Theresa Charleston
- All 3 of my cats love this product. Additionally, it was a product specifically recommended by my veterinarian. — Carol Dornan
- The best, my cats gladly approve. — PistisCE
- This has excellent nutrition and as far as I know, no recalls — check the other brands! And my cats prefer this and their coats are beautiful. — DP
SaleFromm FourStar Cat Food Gamebird (5 lb)
- Grain Free Entree Prepared With Duck, Turkey, Quail, and Pheasant.
- Includes An Assortment Of Fresh Fruits and Vegetables.
- Prepared In Small Batches To Ensure Consistency, Quality, and Superior Taste.
- Complete and Balanced for Cats of All Ages.
- Can Be Alternated With Other Fromm Four Star Recipes.
Last update on 2019-12-14 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
This is a true 4+ rated cat food, as positive after positive ratings will testify.
You can also check out other great cat food choices here.
Does Fromm Work for You and Kitty?
The bottom line here is you and your cat. There are few, if any, higher rated dry cat foods out there that can compare to Fromm’s. With all natural ingredients, no fillers and grain free, your cat should love it. The only real downside is the price, but from a quality standpoint, if you want the best you’ll pay for the best.
No one can possibly say how your cat will or will not like it, you’ll have to get a bag and see. But if your cat eats and enjoys Fromm’s Game Bird Recipe cat food, it’s a winner for both their diet, nutrition and their health. And really, isn’t that what a quality cat food should be all about?